Video interviews have been increasing in popularity over the past few years and now during our extended period of remote working, video interviewing is the only option in most cases. This can be using applications such as Skype, Google Hangouts or Zoom.
A lot of the standard interviewing techniques apply to video interviews, but there’s a few other things to consider too. Here are some really easy tips that will make you look and sound great!
- Check what is in the background behind you and that it’s appropriate
- Dress as you would for an interview
- Don’t sit too close and have your whole face on the screen
- Make sure you have eliminated noise around you including pets and children
- Turn your phone off
- Try not to use your mobile phone for the interview as connections can drop out
- Have a glass of water next to you
- Have a pen and paper or digital note taking device ready
- Triple check that your video service works before your scheduled call
- Keep eye contact with your interviewer
- Take pauses when talking and don’t rush
- Show some personality, small talk is good
- Close your emails so you aren’t distracted whilst talking
- Stick to your time slot, be on time and don’t waffle on
- If you are sharing screens, don’t have anything personal on your background
If you are looking for more tips on interviewing or job hunting, then download our free ‘Getting a Job’ guide.